Alaska Dungeness Crab & Wild Mushroom Chowder
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound mixed fresh wild Mushrooms (chanterelles, oysters, or shiitakes)
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 4 oz Bacon (about 4 slices), chopped
- 1 large Onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose Flour
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Dry Sherry
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tsp minced fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 lb cooked Alaska Dungeness Crab Meat
- Salt and fresh ground Pepper, to taste
In a 3 to 4 quart pan, combine potatoes with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, rinse mushrooms briefly and drain. Trim off and discard any tough stem ends; if using shiitakes, discard whole stems. Cut mushrooms into large bite-size pieces. In a heavy 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and stir often until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
Add bacon to same pan over medium-high heat and stir often until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and stir often until onion is limp, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir often until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Whisk chicken broth and cream into pan and continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in sherry, Worcestershire, and thyme, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
Gently stir in potatoes, mushrooms, and crab meat. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until heated through.
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI)